The whole world was watching

Friday, May 15, 2020

Have you ever waved back at someone who was not waving at you? or, walked around with something stuck between your teeth during a day in which, for some reason, you smiled more than usual? Maybe you've confidently yelled out an answer in class, only to find out you are wrong.
Embarrassment is one of the most awful feelings. It all comes to be a domino effect; let's take a look back in time to a point in the late 2000s, to the first *of many* of Didi's public embarrassments. It was a day like any other, the sky was cloudy and the pavement still wet from the rain, as for me I was looking out the window, eagerly waiting to finally be allowed out for recess. During this time of the year, in our PE class, we spent a couple months learning ballroom dancing, and had a competition towards the end of the school year. I was eager to show my friends how much I had improved; the bell rang and I rushed out. As usual we met at the top soccer field, where our class (3A) and the class next door (3B) got together during recess time. I looked at one of my friends and began talking about my dance skills, so we decided to start dancing. During the first 30 seconds everything went well, turns, steps, synch...then all of a sudden my partner fails to catch me as I lay back. I fell flat on the wet pavement of the soccer field, my skirt so far up I was completely exposed, my face turned red and my palms started to sweet... I couldn't move. I stayed on the floor for a little while I covered my eyes, hoping that people would just ignore it... that did NOT happen. My friends helped me up, but the more people laughed the more I wish the earth would swallow me; I got as red as a lobster and I couldn't stop laughing *it's better than crying*. What felt like the whole world, was able to take a peak under my skirt, I thought my life was over and for the next couple of months there was not a single person that didn't bring it up.
PS. I did not win the dancing competition, but I did earn a purple bruise on my butt.

Post a Comment