"Do NOT call me by my name"

Wednesday, May 13, 2020


At some point or another, as we grow up, our innocence fades away and nasty feelings begin to creep in; a feeling that hit me hard? Shame.
While I was growing up in Spain everyone knew me by my birth name, and truthfully I never really put much thought into it, until I moved to the United States. From one moment to the next I was forced to repeat my name several times before people understood, I heard several mispronunciations, I was laughed at, and I didn't care... not enough to hurt... yet.
Have you ever felt like someone's sole purpose at a specific instant is to break you? Although it has occurred to me several times, at some point in September of 2012... it actually worked. I remember Freshman Didi walking down those white and green colored hallways, I had been instructed to deliver a note to a teacher downstairs, but little did I know that would change who I was forever. I knocked on the door and walked into the classroom, I advised the teacher of the message as I was instructed and began to walk back to class, but before I made it to the door he yelled at me to stop; the teacher forced me to stand in front of the classroom and intended to use me in order to have his class crack a couple laughs. He made me recite poetry, repeat myself several times and answer questions, one of those questions? My name. This sad excuse of a man had the nerve to say "your parents must hate you! This is incredible, what kind of name is that?" as him and the class erupted in laughter. With time I might forget his answer, his face, the eyes of a class of High School Juniors staring and laughing at me, but I will NEVER forget the way he made me feel.
Throughout High School, I tried very hard to have people call me "Didi" instead, but unfortunately the nick name did not catch on until College #TookALifetime.
Now very few people know my name, and honestly when they call me by it I still feel like it is only to make fun of me, which is why I only allow family to use it.
Will I ever go by my birth name again? I don't think so, but as for the teacher that made me feel ashamed of my own name... he has now been arrested, who is funny now?

Post a Comment

new